I'm for it.
I'm going to be talking a bit about how religious people think that science is biased against them. What I want to talk about first is how science is inherently biased towards empirical evidence, and toward things that are testable and can be shown to be true with a high degree of confidence.That's not just about the bias of scientists, it's how we find things out with any kind of accuracy.
Then I will be shifting gears and talking about the media, and how, at their best, they are supposed to have the same biases as science. They are supposed to check and verify claims and report things that are accurate and important to the best of their abilities.
Here are some links that I plan to refer to in the course of the show.
- Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed - an upcoming creationist propaganda documentary starring Ben "Bueller, Bueller" Stein.
- New York Times: "Scientists Feel Miscast in Film on Life’s Origin"
- Agenda-Setting Theory on Wikipedia. This is a theory of media which suggests that the media chooses which topics to cover, and people are influenced to pay attention to those topics.
- Be all that you can be in the mercenary reserves - a post on Blackwater, a gang of mercenary thugs in Iraq, paid for with your tax dollars, and headed by an evangelical
- Hating Rudy Giuliani is one of the most popular topics on digg.com. (This is tangentially related to my Master's Thesis. If you're interested, you can read more posts about my thesis here.)
Sounds good. Looking forward to it.ReplyDelete